Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ice Age Trail Greenbush, Wisconsin

























16.35 Miles 2:21:40 8:40 average per mile
7:30 am) 50's cool
Ran the Ice Age trail for the first time. Much more difficult than I
thought it would be. Very technical with lots of climbing, rocks
and roots to watch out for. Mike and I planned on doing 20-22
miles but we where spent after 16. We went out 8 and came back
and planned on doing a 5 mile loop off the Ice Age trail but we
decided that was enough. My Achilles is still sore and this run
did not help it any. I feel okay otherwise just tired. This was
probably the hardest run I have ever done on a trail other than
of course Pikes Peak Marathon last year. I wish I would have
got in more miles but I think we were smart to listen to our bodies.
We are just not used to this kind of running. The trails around
Green Bay are relatively easy compared to this. Hope to get back
down on this trail soon. Maybe 3 weeks from now. At least I will
know what to expect next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I see you have the nf 50 miler in Oct on your calendar. Still planning on racing it? Should be some fast times out there considering it's the last regional before the championship in Dec.
Take care,
Tim

Brad Poppele said...

Hi Tim,
Yes I plan on doing the 50 miler. It will be my first 50 mile run. I'm a bit nervous about it but also excited. You doing it?

Brad

Anonymous said...

Already registered and looking forward to it. I haven't raced since May and am dying to get out there. You ran the 50k last year? Enjoy it?

Brad Poppele said...

Yes, I ran the 50k last year as my first ultra. I really enjoyed it. The trail is challenging but not super hard. It has a few steep hills. I walked most of the steep ones to save energy for the less steep ones. Not sure about the 19 mile loop that the 50 mile course runs on. I have never run it. I might go down and run it before race day. If I do I will let you now how it is.
Later.

Anonymous said...

would hugely appreciate that.